Yemen’s Houthi rebels suffer due to US sanctions, says Yemeni Military official

Saada — Iran-backed Houthi rebels have been suffering since last month after US Government issued hard-hitting sanctions against Iran, a Yemeni Military official said on Sunday.

The US-imposed sanctions have limited the Houthi capabilities to mobilize and carry out military operations.

“Recent developments, mainly sanctions imposed on the Iranian regime, put a heavy strain on the Houthi militias,” assistant of Chief Service at the Yemeni Defense Ministry’s Counseling Departing Lieutenant General Khaled Al Karni told Asharq Al-Awsat.

According to Karni, Yemen’s national army is only 25 kilometers away from the capital of Saada province which constitutes the principle stronghold of Houthi rebels.

“There is good progress in Kitaf and at the axis of Baqem. Houthi losses are on the rise,” he said, adding that airstrikes launched by the Yemeni Army play a leading role in the military operations, Al-Awsat reported.

Iran has been financially and militarily backing Houthi rebels in Yemen who have carried out an onslaught against the Yemeni citizens and residents—the charges Iran has long denied.