Washington — The head of U.S. State Department’s “Iran Action Group” Brian Hook said that, Iran has spent over 16 billion dollars supporting Assad and proxies in Syria and Iraq, National Council for Resistance for Iran reported on Monday.
In an interview to UAE-based Al-Arabiya channel on October 9, Mr. Hook said that US will continue to exert more sanctions against Iran’s mullah regime for its apparent destabilizing behavior in the Middle East.
“We’re going to keep imposing sanctions on Iran until we’re able to get a new and better deal to replace the Iran Nuclear Deal that we left in May of last year,” he said.
He also highlighted how the sanctions were successful in weakening Iranian regime’s economy in comparison to two years ago.
He said: “Just one year after leaving the deal, there are press accounts that you may have seen of Iran’s oil exports going from 2.5 million to about 125,000 barrels.”
Hook reiterated the U.S. has targeted the regime’s missile program as the “largest missile inventory of any country in the Middle East.” He referred to the number of Iranian diplomats expelled from Europe for conducting terror operations or terrorist attempted attacks and said the U.S is surveilling them.
After U.S. withdrew from 2015 Iran nuclear deal formally known as Joint Comprehensive Plan for Action (JCPOA), U.S. kept imposing more sanctions on the Mullah regime, which included sanctions against regime’s vile leader Ali Khamenei, Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) and the regime’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif.
Hook said that, U.S. officials need to see concrete steps that the [Iraqi] government is taking to end this [economic] dependency on Iran.
Mr. Hook added that the Iranian regime of breaking international law by attacking Saudi Arabia’s Aramco oil installation. And some of the U.S. officials said that the attack was approved by the regime’s Supreme leader.